Re: [OM] 1/2000 rarely used

Subject: Re: [OM] 1/2000 rarely used
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:54:51 -0500
Not as sophisticated as Moose's operation but, when sharpening
portraits, I often sharpen the entire image until I have the eyes, lips,
nostrils and possibly jewelry where I want them.  But that may have an
adverse effect on skin.  So I add a duplicate layer and then apply a
slight gaussian blur to the entire image until the skin looks right.
Then add a mask to that layer and paint the mask completely black with
the paint bucket.  That brings the underlying sharpened image back.
Then just use a small paintbrush with white paint on the mask to
selectively unsharpen the skin.  Sometimes I also do the inverse by
having a partially blurred layer on top and selectively allowing the
eyes, lips, etc from the sharpened layer underneath to come through.
Men and women are also usually treated a bit differently.  The men won't
be softened as much as the women.

Chuck Norcutt