Re: [OM] T-20 safe on E?

Subject: Re: [OM] T-20 safe on E?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 12:59:03 -0500
Other good and inexpensive flash units of the same era are the Sunpak
422D, 433D, 383 or pototato masher 522, 544 and 555, the Vivitar 285HV
(make sure it says HV, not a plain 285) or camera brand units from the
film era which (like the T-32) don't do TTL on digital.

I mostly use a Canon 540EZ because it has lots of manual power levels
and has a powerful autofocus assist light.  But that's of no use on a
non-Canon EOS body and it does not have any flash controlled auto mode.
  Old Nikon film TTL units may have an auto mode as do Metz units.
Avoid Minolta flashes made for autofocus film bodies because they have a
non-standard (non ISO) hot shoe.  Older, manual focus Minolta flashes
such as the 360PX should be OK.

There are also lots of older, lower power Vivitar flash units of myriad
model numbers that may or may not have TTL, offer auto mode and a bounce
head with little or no manual power control.  These will typically be 1
or 2 stops down from a 285HV or T-32 but you can compensate by shooting
at higher ISO.  I assume the E-420 does well noise-wise up to at least
ISO 800 which should be plenty or even more than enough for using a low
power flash in bounce mode in a modest size room.

Dr. Flash