Re: [OM] Smee with knee

Subject: Re: [OM] Smee with knee
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 09:35:05 +1100
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 27/12/2008, at 2:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> You know, we joked, in Andrew's absence, about how he was going to
> terrorize
> the nurses and such.  It's good to see that "karma" is alive and
> well.  :)

Karma be buggered - this was simply a battle of wills and I was
outnumbered.
Such an odd idea, 'karma', also found in the ancient Greek idea of
balance.
Unfortunately, as the Stoics so nicely observed, it requires a rule
book and someone keeping score - quite absurd.

> On a serious note, I am intrigued by the differences in experiences
> with
> joint replacement surgery. Back in Michigan I was familiar with a
> surgeon
> that specialized in sports injuries.  A full-blown knee replacement
> and in
> six weeks the patient was back in competition again.

Six weeks to competition? That sounds unlikely - there is a great
deal of confusion between 'replacement' and 'reconstruction' but even
things like medial ligament tears render such sedentary sportsmen as
cricketers <g> hors de combat for months.