Re: [OM] Smee with knee

Subject: Re: [OM] Smee with knee
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:02:45 -0600

> certain magic to them. I can't say that any of my C*n*n lenses
> have any such magic. They are functional but not magical.
> Even compared to some of my favorite OM lenses, the CZ glass
> had something extra.

That is one of the best descriptions I've read.  So many of the lenses
today, including the Digital Zuikos qualify as "functional".  Extremely
functional--yes, but missing some of that "magic".  This is the reason why I
am dedicated to the use of the old Zuikos--some really do have that
something extra which is not measurable but you know exists.

The two Zuikos standing out in my mind as having a certain characteristic
that goes beyond specifications is the 100/2.8 and the 35/2.8.  I'm about to
add the 35-80/2.8 to the list, but I have no idea how to describe that
amazing lens yet without blathering like a slobbering idiot.  (note, the
"Inside, Looking Out" photograph was taken with the 35-80 on the E-1--no
complaints here).

As to the Contax glass, well, I would say without hesitation that I prefer
Contax glass over Leica glass.  From my experience, Contax glass has the
same color aberrations as the Zuikos which somehow translate into an altered
representation of reality.

AG