Re: [OM] Brothers Bale

Subject: Re: [OM] Brothers Bale
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:13:16 -0600

> I like the first one on the page. The composition is beautiful and it looks
> monochromatic despite being a color photo. The shot of the snowy road with
> the 35-80 impressed me...I have never gotten so much sharpness in a 35mm
> photo of snow where it felt like you could see the snowflakes in a snow
> scene...that lens showed it! Wow. I want one....damn I hate being poor.

I'm a little surprised that the title of the first one hasn't been commented
on yet.  Oh well, maybe a little esoteric for the masses, but this is what I
instantly saw when seeing this hillside in the distance. It is cropped a
little bit, but on the E-1 this is the AoV of a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera
which accounts for the visual compression.  I did shoot this same picture
with Ilford PanF so we'll see what a real B&W film can do with it.

The 35-80 is definitely an exceptional lens, but this particular shot could
have been done with the 50/3.5 macro and gotten the same result as far as
sharpness is concerned. What I am seeing with the 35-80 is not only the
sharpness, but also the contrast.  It has a similar contrast to what I've
experienced with Joel's 100/2. The sun was so bright and the angle was such
that the tulip lens-shade proved to be of no worth so I had to shoot the
camera one handed while using the other to shade the lens.

The 35-80 is a complex lens to figure out.  I don't understand the
contrast/color aspects of it in comparison to the silver-nosed Zuikos.

AG