Re: [OM] Brothers Bale

Subject: Re: [OM] Brothers Bale
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:23:44 -0500
Ken,

I've never shot a silver nose lens! Al my lenses are black nose, probably
because when I got my first Olympus (an OM-G) at age 11, the silvernoses
were already history. I suspect that the newer lenses in general are more
contrasty than the old silvernoses. I have a set of AF-Nikkors that I have
shot on film with an F4 body and the black-nose Zuikos are about the same in
contrast as the AF-Nikkors, all of which in my bag were made after 1994...so
the black-noses are similar to other modern lenses by other manufacturers in
that regard. I think in general the Zuikos render a nicer image than the
Nikkors. The Nikon lenses do not have nice Bokeh (well the 85/1.8 is
decent). I think all of my Zuikos except the 50/1.8 mij have at least decent
bokeh and some are excellent. So generally I greatly prefer the images I get
from Olympus lenses over Nikon. Sharpness is better on some Zuikos compared
to Nikon, and better on some Nikons..overall a tossup.

The 35-80 Zuiko is supposed to be in a league of its own, and that photo you
shot with it is one I'd have done in medium format to get that detail that
you managed to get in 35mm. The sun hitting the snow at the right angle
certainly contributed to the appearance of detail in the snow but I suspect
the lens helped greatly.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design