Re: [OM] Brothers Bale

Subject: Re: [OM] Brothers Bale
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:49:53 -0600

> I've never shot a silver nose lens! Al my lenses are black nose, probably
> because when I got my first Olympus (an OM-G) at age 11, the silvernoses
> were already history. I suspect that the newer lenses in general are more
> contrasty than the old silvernoses.

I would agree with that assessment. I honestly believe that the old
single-coated lenses make better B&W photographs as the reduced contrast
helps extend the usable dynamic range of the film.

> The 35-80 Zuiko is supposed to be in a league of its own, and that photo
> you
> shot with it is one I'd have done in medium format to get that detail that
> you managed to get in 35mm. The sun hitting the snow at the right angle
> certainly contributed to the appearance of detail in the snow but I suspect
> the lens helped greatly.

Well, to put it into perspective, this is on the E-1, which has about 1/4
the surface area of a 35mm frame AND I further cropped at least 2/3 of the
image off.  So, you're looking at 1/12 of a 35mm frame. The resize for the
web was only around 50%.  Yup, it's a keeper.

AG