[OM] BFTP [was G1 - Pop Photo camera of the year]

Subject: [OM] BFTP [was G1 - Pop Photo camera of the year]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 03:18:54 -0800
I agree about Pop Photo - and yet. Mike Johnston chose the G1 as his
runner-up Camera of the Year.

They both say they did so for what seem to me to be very good reasons.
Both admit it is far from the "best" camera introduced in 2008. Rather,
they find it to be the camera that breaks through into new design and
function territory. In another year that saw scads of variations on
existing themes, the G1 stands out.

The G1 is conservative, not going as far as the Micro 4/3 standard
allows. On the other hand, it's a bold first step away from the beaten
path. I'm betting and hoping that Oly will take those next steps toward
gaining the full benefit, leaving the DSLR form factor for something
really small and light. Yet, I'll bet it was Panasonic that drove the
new standard, dragging a reluctant Oly with them. With competitive
products in the entry level/small DSLR market, they can't have had much
incentive to rush ahead.

I'm also bemused by all the comparisons of the cost and size/weight of
the G1 to the E-420. I guess they are just because it's the smallest DSLR.

But the G1 has IS in it's lenses and a twist and tilt LCD, which puts it
in the feature/performance category of the larger, heavier, relatively
more expensive E-520.

If the first Oly entry hits the mark and/or G1 prices drop enough, I
could join a sub-set of the /43 ranks.

Moose