Re: [OM] HNY and its

Subject: Re: [OM] HNY and its
From: Nathan <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:35:36 +0100
Good idea to remind all of this, Chris. The abuse of the English
language is one of my pet peeves as well. Your example is one of the
most common mistakes, but others that I have seen frequently in
recent years include:

principle/principal (example of correct usage: as a matter of
principle, I refuse to shake the principal's hand)
their/there (no examples should be needed here, it is just plain
sloppy to get this one wrong)
lens/lense (just to include something on topic; lense would have been
correct in the 17th century, but this is 2009!)

Cheers,
Nathan (for whom English is an adopted, not native, language)

On 01/01/2009, at 12:25, Chris Barker wrote:

> Happy New Year to all.
>
> And it's time for a reminder about how to spell "its" and "it's"
>
> "Its" is the possessive pronoun, the possessive form of "it".
>
> "It's" is the short form of "it is".
>
> I know that I am trying to push pooh uphill with this, but it's an
> effort worth making.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris
>
> --