Re: [OM] BTFP [was Nathan's PAD 13/12/2008: the big moon]

Subject: Re: [OM] BTFP [was Nathan's PAD 13/12/2008: the big moon]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:58:29 -0500
There's also more involved than just the size of the air column.  In the
case of David's racing shots he's shooting with a full-frame 8 MP camera
at f/16 and panning with an 800mm lens at 1/200 second.  The theoretical
diffraction limit for a full-frame sensor at f/16 is 7 MP with a perfect
lens.  The lens, while good, is not perfect and so the choice of f/16 is
limiting resolution to something less than 7 MP.  f/11 would likely have
been a better choice for resolution had it not been for the desire to
have a slowish shutter speed to show some motion blur.  And, while he's
panning to help compensate for the slowish shutter speed, good as he
obviously is, that panning motion can't possibly be the equivalent of a
stationary lens on a rock steady tripod.

Shooter and lens delivered a pleasing result but it would be difficult
to judge the ultimate image quality of the lens based on these shooting
conditions.

Chuck Norcutt