Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 1/1/2009: a neighbour stops by

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 1/1/2009: a neighbour stops by
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:33:33 -0500
The technical error is not motion blur (there is that too) but shooting
at an apparent distance of about 5 feet (1.5 meter) on a small sensor
camera (Leica M8) at f/1.4.  The DoF at that distance and aperture and
using that camera is only about 2-1/4" (57 mm).  However, that's
assuming about an 8X enlargement.  Given the small size of the screen
image the DoF is probably more like double that or about 4-1/2" (114mm).
   But even that doesn't help much.   If you critically examine for
focus you'll see that the only thing that's in focus in this image is
the bracelet.  Given the shallow DoF at f/1.4 it would be extremely
difficult to capture even both eyes in focus the way her head is turned.

Despite that the image works and works well.  But let's not confuse why
the image looks as it does.  Shoot another one at 5 feet and f/1.4 on an
M8 against a moving target and it will also quite likely be out of focus.

Dr. Flash (at f/8)