Re: [OM] My New Year's Eve with a 5D MkII

Subject: Re: [OM] My New Year's Eve with a 5D MkII
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:58:51 -0600
Joel (playing with fire) Wilcox wrote:

> Actually, the 5D has an awe-inspiring LCD -- huge and beautifully
> clear.  Wonderful.

One thing that bugs me about this is that the better the LCD, the more I'm
distracted from the actual chore of actually taking pictures. Granted, this
is an immature attitude, but the distraction of chimping is real.

Like many a pro PJ, he shoots only jpg, so I took some time to show
> him the things I like about RAW development with Lightroom.  I don't
> know if I made any headway with that.  I think the RAW-jpg chasm is
> harder to cross in some ways than the Canaan-Nikorn (or
> Canaan-Everybody else) chasm.  In general, we were all impressed with
> the 5D but were happy to leave with the ladies who accompanied us
> there, so to speak.

Raw Therapee just might be an adequate non-Apple/Adobe answer to much of the
work-flow and non-spot image-adjustment issues surrounding RAW and JPEG. I'm
getting more and more impressed with the program even when working with JPEG
files.

AG