Re: [OM] T10 mounting thread size?

Subject: Re: [OM] T10 mounting thread size?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:02:38 -0800
All good ides and advice.  I'd like to add more explicit explanatory
detail that is implicit in some of your advice. The problem is generally
that pressure from the sides distorts the thin metal towards an oval
shape, causing the ring to actually grip the threads to which it is
attached harder than at rest.

So you get into a vicious circle. The harder you grip, the greater the
self created friction you are trying to overcome. That's why the filter
wrenches are designed to grip the ring all the way around so as to avoid
distorting it.

I have usually found that applying pressure only on the front edge/rim
of the ring, perpendicular to the plane of it, and none at all against
the sides, will loosen a ring that is otherwise apparently really stuck
hard. It's can be quite amazing how a little persuasion, with a bit of
jiggling, rocking, etc., can gently remove a ring where brute force
applied in another direction cannot. This may apply to filters, as well.

Moose