Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 08:44:21 -0500
I always shoot everything in raw and handle white balance in post
processing.  But, at the same time, I try to keep the camera's white
balance setting close to the lighting temperature I'm shooting in such
the previews of the images are reasonably close to what the final image
will look like.  I didn't know what to do in this case so I simply had
the camera set at "auto".  But auto on the camera in this case didn't do
so well.

In post-processing in ACR the image first shows up with white balance
reported as "as shot".  Strangely, most of them show up in "as shot"
with a typical daylight range temperature or even higher.  Clicking on
"auto" in ACR switches them somewhere into the incandescent range.  In
some cases that looks right but in most I just tweak them a bit up or
down until they look right to the eye.  ACR got them into the ball park
and sometimes even right on but my eye often disagreed by +/- 500 to 1000K.

I do have various white balance tools but rarely use them.  In most
cases I don't want precision white balance to wash away the color of the
light.

Chuck Norcutt