Re: [OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes

Subject: Re: [OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:09:19 -0500
After posting this note I accidentally stumbled across the following
link on DPReview which illustrates that downsizing really doesn't do
very much in practice to reduce noise.  It would if noise was random but
in the case of digital cameras with Bayer patterns sensors it's not.

Check it out
<http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2008/11/downsampling-to.html>

To quote the main point: "The mathematical theory may tell you that
downsampling works but it won’t if your noise grains are any larger than
one pixel (and they nearly always are from a camera with a bayer color
filter array)."

Chuck Norcutt