Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful where you sit...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:34:53 -0500
Andrew, I'm not sure you have followed all of this thread.  We were well
beyond the point of my trying to photograph people on stage and working
up some silly hypothesis about distance and the inverse square law.  I
was clearly in error there and realized it within the first couple of
that point, however, was the physics of why an extended light source
does not behave the same as a point source.  Andrew F. was intrigued by
the same question.  But somewhere in the back of my brain I dredged up
some incomplete memory of extended vs point light source so did a Google
search and found a perfectly fine reference book.

The reference book I pointed out (and which you obviously read as well)
gave what I believe to be a perfectly adequate explanation, a very
simple diagram and was perfectly understandable without any references
to integrals.  No cameras or lenses are required in the explanation
because we see it with our eyes and light meters.  I still have no idea
why you consider the lens and camera here to be important to the answer.
  The physical laws governing extended light sources have presumably
been in operation since the origin of the universe when no cameras were
around to observe and record it.  As far as I'm concerned I adequately
answered my own question.  You seem to be continuing with trying to
answer something that I don't think I asked.  I'm still trying to
understand what that is.

Chuck Norcutt