Re: [OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes

Subject: Re: [OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:32:20 -0600
Thanks, Chuck. I hadn't read the Wikipedia article, but the other was
familiar.  After re-reading the article I think it would be tempting
simply to assume that bokeh is the outcome quality of a lens with
certain attributes.  If true, these things must apply one way or the
other to DZ lenses, but to a large extent I am trying to see what can
be done with the lenses, especially the 50-200 (since that's what I
have), regardless of whether the lens has the best "bokeh qualities"
built into it.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.  I guess I
have been approaching it more from an empirical than a deductive
standpoint.

It is possible that any zoom lens of a particular length (or telephoto
prime) can be made to isolate the subject against a blurred
background.  The question is -- Is this also what we mean by bokeh?

What I think people want is a 50mm equivalent lens with pleasing bokeh
for their digital camera.  That's the frame of reference from past
experience with film.  Does that continue to be the frame of reference
in digital photography?

These are somewhat different questions and I don't know the answer to them.

Joel W.