Re: [OM] BFTP [was Frosty Photos]

Subject: Re: [OM] BFTP [was Frosty Photos]
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:13:16 +0000
2009/1/7 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> www.ian955.fotopic.net
>>

> I really enjoyed these. As a matter of choice, I am almost never at any
> place/time where I could see such things for myself.
>
> I liked the subjects and compositions of them all, but 700 stood out to
> me for the different perspective.

I'm glad everyone seemed to like that one - I got cold knees & belly
lying down to get that.

> On technical issues as they affect me, F4 just didn't give enough DOF to
> fully satisfy my taste in 696, 704-707, 714 & 717. The DOF advantage of
> the smaller sensor wasn't enough to offset the DOF effects of close
> focus, or something like that.

TBH, I agree.  I would have liked to stop down a bit more, but didn't
want to boost the ISO above 400 or risk camera shake (even with
stabilisation on, there would have been some).  I was also unwilling
at this point to run back inside and up the stairs to get a tripod,
which I would have used if I'd thought of it first.  It was early on a
Sunday morning and I just wanted to get out there and capture some
shots before it warmed up and melted.

> To me, 707 cries out to be cropped to a horizontal the full width of the
> image, losing most of the top and enough of the bottom to give a 4:3
> proportion. That would not only cut off the in-your-face OOF, but focus
> on the more interesting, to me, part.
>
> The OOF rear part of 714 works for me, but I'd prefer the front wing to
> be in focus. I may well like OOF parts of the primary subject in this
> kind of subject less than others do.
>
> Thanks,
>  Moose
> --

Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*
naked, the truth and a lie are not "sort-of the same thing" and there is
no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with pizza.

-Daria Morgendorffer