Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 02:28:19 -0800
Wayne Harridge

> Yes, I suspect they are metric.

The threads are M6 X 1. If you're not familiar with metric threads, thats
6mm diameter and 1 full thread per millimeter. I point this out because,
unlike US Standard threads which count threads per inch, metric treads are
designated by how many millimeters per full thread. So, where a finer thread
would result in the TPI being a larger number in US Standard, with metrics
the finer thread is indicated by a smaller number. For example, the finer
6mm size is M6 X .75.

> I guess the section without the rack wouldn't matter too much, you'd just
> need to avoid moving the standards over that section.  I suspect that it
> would be a weak point and something might break if both sections of rail
> weren't adequately supported.

One other issue that comes to mind, is that you might have a problem with
the two rails not being correctly orientated with one another. However, this
could be solved simply by using a spacer, such as a thin washer, between the
rails. The fun part would be figuring out just how thick this spacer would
need to be.

As far as it being a weak point, I would tend to agree. Though, on the up
side, the threads appear to have been cut, rather than formed. This means,
with the right equipment, one could easily drill and tap the holes deeper to
allow for the use of a longer stud, thereby creating a stronger connection.

Darin