Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:20:02 -0500
Thanks, Alan.  I could certainly be wrong about Series filters but the
information I consulted before responding describes series filters as
without threads.   <http://silverbased.org/series-filters/>

Originally they were designed to have a cell that would accept the
filter and mounting threads on the back of the cell to match a
particular camera's own threads.  For example, for a 50mm Zuiko with
49mm threads you would have a Series VII cell with 49mm threads on the
back.  It would be called a step-up ring since a Series VII filter is 2"
in diameter and (at 50.8mm) larger than 49mm.  The filter would then be
held into the cell by installing a Series VII retaining ring which has a
2-1/8" thread.  The retaining ring in some cases might even have it's
own front thread for attaching yet another filter.

But that, I suppose, is how Kodak envisioned it.  I'm sure there might
have been many, many variants produced over the years.  Including (as my
link describes) the introduction of lenses that were directly threaded
to Series sizes to avoid the need for an adapter.

Chuck Norcutt