Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Bellows Questions
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:58:16 -0500
Alan Wood said the following on 1/8/09 4:37 PM:
> Answering Chuck's questions:
>
> The information about a bellows rail marked in green for an 80mm auto macro
> came from a list member, but I can't remember who.

I have a few of those rails, here's a photo of one:

http://olympus.dementia.org/misc/bellows_rail.jpg

I think I have some of the older ones without the green markings around as well
but I couldn't find any right now.

> Not all front standards are exactly the same - both of mine have circular
> rings perhaps to cut reflections, but they are not a continuous thread.

I'm not convinced they are threads but I did take a look under an inspection
microscope at a couple of my bellows.  The ridges are indeed cut as a
continuous
thread and they have a leading edge at the start.  I've never seen this
documented as a filter mount but since these bellows were outsourced by Olympus
it's possible the vendor added the threads for some reason.  I seem to remember
that the Olympus bellows shared some parts with bellows from another
manufacturer.

One other thought, if they are indeed threads then why are they painted matte
black instead of being anodized?  Screwing in a filter will easily remove the
black paint leaving behind a silver shinny surface.  An anodized surface would
withstand the use of a filter and continue to provide a dark surface which
prevents reflection.  I suspect Olympus never intended filters to be mounted
using those threads.
                                        -mark