Re: [OM] Travelogue: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Subject: Re: [OM] Travelogue: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:18:52 -0500
Never got to go off the main road. The camps tend to be white gers
(felt-lined tents, yurt in Russian) - and geared to foreign tourists.
Many Mongolians still live in gers and there are ger sections in
Ulaanbaatar .

Well, it was below freezing in early November. There was snow on some of
the high(er) ground. Climate is very dry, so the cold was quite bearable
in the bright sun.

I suspect that summer is along the lines you mention. However, while the
terrain is brown in winter, it is largely grass covered and would be
green in summer. Dusty it might be, but it's not the Gobi.

Martin