Re: [OM] Travelogue: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Subject: Re: [OM] Travelogue: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:33:19 -0500
Bob:
UB is a strange city. It has quite a "soviet" appearance, partly due to
the two large generating plants that provide steam heat to many of the
buildings. Otherwise the layout shows little sign of integrated urban
planning.  There are only a couple of tall buildings, though there's one
  taller one, somewhat avant-garde with one convex face under
construction.  The main square and environs is quite different and in
much better condition than the rest of the city. I didn't get to see the
museums, monasteries etc.
I gather there's lots to see in the countryside, and a range of
geography, which changes quite dramatically from winter to summer. It's
also big sky country. I would like to go back for a longer visit.

Martin