Re: [OM] (OM) Zuiko macro 50/3.5 and E1

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Zuiko macro 50/3.5 and E1
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:33:03 -0600

> I defer to you.  Nobody I know of has produced so many photographs via
> adapter as you.

I estimate 15 thousand pictures with the adapter. Over 1/3 of all pictures I
take with the E-1 are with the adapted lenses.  No, I'm not afraid of a
little stop-down metering.  :)

> I was goofing around with the 24/2.8 last night on the E-1, trying to
> see if I can figure out a way to get the exposure system to work in
> any predictable way with an OM adapter, Zuiko, and KatzEye screen.
> Not working so far, but I will have to shoot and look at the exposures
> in Lightroom.  I'm afraid I've been seriously corrupted by the larger
> LCDs...

The KatzEye is probably your biggest problem.  I couldn't get it to work for
me without wild swings in exposure.  Ended up just shooting in
manual-exposure mode.  It was also weird because the split-image goes
backwards to the ones in my 2-13 screens.  In otherwords, against the
movement of the focus ring.

One trick when shooting with classic lenses on the E-1 (and E-3 from my
testing) is to check the histogram and make sure that your mid-tone hump is
centered.  Don't worry about the ends of the histogram, just make sure your
mid-tones are exposed correctly. You'll get richer colors AND you'll benefit
from the different contrasting of the older lenses which contribute to a
smoother roll-off in your shoulder and toe regions.  During the RAW
conversion stage, you'll usually need to bump up your mid-tones a bit, but
the shadows and highlights will hold details you would have lost otherwise.

> You asked me a few days ago what I was going to do with the E-1 and
> E-330.  I'd like to park the OM-adapter on the E-1 and create a little
> kit of vintage glass for it.  The E-330 is small enough in scale that
> it would be nice to get a couple of the small zooms introduced with
> the 400 series for it.  But have you priced those lenses lately?  It's
> more cost effective to buy the 420 with the kit lenses than buy the
> lenses by themselves. The camera is almost free if you're willing to
> pay the price of the lenses.

If you do decide to part with your ultra-clean E-1, (mine looks like a NYC
transit-bus in comparison) my friend over here is looking for a backup to
his E-3.

AG