Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs

Subject: Re: [OM] Something to obsolete all of our DSLRs
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:23:35 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" > My HDTV has a screen height of about 27" and viewing
position puts my
> eyes about 110" from the screen, so if I understand you correctly, I'm
> viewing at 1:4.
>
> My TV shows 1080 vertical lines, so simple math suggests 16:9 means it
> is 1920x1080. Is that what you mean?

There are two types of HDTV, one HD ready, that means 1366x768 another type
is full HD, 1920x1080 both can display 1080i/p movies. Details should be
able to find in the spec.

> Anyway, I agree that HD with a good source is much better than DVD. I
> don't have an upsampling DVD player. I understand from reviews that they
> improve the quality of DVDs on HDTVs significantly. Again, I have no
> personal experience, but I'm sure it's still not as good as true HD.
>
> However, my main point was about the source quality of the majority of
> video material currently available on DVD. Most older movies and TV
> shows simply don't have the resolution available from the original
> sources to show a great deal of improvement when viewed on HD (1080) vs.
> DVD (720).

Old TV shows will not but most of the old big movies are re-digitized to
true HD. Just like the 007 series.

DVD is 720x576, HD is 1920x1080, much higher resolution.

> Based on what I'm viewing, I can't see the point to Blu-Ray at this
> time. HD just isn't enough better than DVD to justify the greater cost
> of players and media - for me.  If most others are like me, then the
> mass, high volume volume sales required to bring prices down to DVD
> levels may not happen.
>
> Besides, my media cabinet is full.  :-)   Do they make combo VCR/Blu-Ray
> players that also play DVDs? Cheap?

I believe all Blu-Ray players play DVDs and they are not too expensive,
could be around $4-500. Blu-Ray source is expensive today but it may take
only 3 years to go down to the current DVD price. Just like the transistion
from VCD to DVD.

I'm using a computer to watch HDTV and record the show/movies I would like
to keep, the lossless recording is great! Talking about up-sampling, the
computer do a great job but it is still far away from true HD quality.

C.H.Ling