Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:47:36 -0600
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 5:06 AM, WayneS <> wrote:
> At 05:55 AM 1/10/2009, Moose wrote:
>>WayneS wrote:
>>> So now Iiving in New England, where the mice don't seem to have as many
>>> fleas. We have a snake running around also, mostly in the yard.
>>> http://www.zuik.net/OM-4t/snake_MG_6662.jpg
>>> and snakes do not have fleas!
>>>

>>Nice catch!
>>
>>Looks like your 5D doesn't have a front/back focus problem - bang on!
>>
>>I've never noticed one with mine, either. I've not gone out of my way to
>>test, as there's no solution, anyway.
>
> Thanks, nothing like manual focus, but it took about 10 shots to get
> the one. And what are you doing up at this hour of the day? must be
> 3AM where you are?
>
> The AF with the 180 macro is hit or miss. It is just not precise enough
> for this kind of shot. It will forward and back focus due to error tolerance
> limits. And they just don't make manual lens focusing like they used to...
> and when scrunched down on the ground, straining the neck, there is
> a bit of luck involved.
>
> WayneS

Thanks a great shot, Wayne.  I chased a gecko around some big broad
leaves at my mother-in-law's house a couple weeks ago.  I wish I
trusted my shooting eye to do manual focus, but the results usually
betray me unless there's a split image finder in the equation. :(

I deleted your email address.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I can't
find a setting in gmail to allow any editing of the headers.  Bummer.

Joel W.