Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: "montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx" <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:29:47 +1000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Most of ours are harmless or close to it - gorgeous pythons up north
> - but we lack the common, small non-venomous types like Garter snakes.

The other night we had a small Carpet Python on our balcony. We've got
some kind of marsupial or rat/mouse thing going on under the bottom
balcony's spa, and I suspect the python was attracted to the smell.
Unfortunately, so was Maggie (one of our dogs) and when she saw the
python she assumed that it was responsible for the interesting odours.
It struck at her, but that just backed her off briefly and aroused her
curiosity more (Carpet Pythons have backward-pointing teeth - no "fangs"
- and no venom, of course). It was only about a metre long, but was
patterned beautifully in yellow and brown. I haven't seen it since,
after it ducked under the spa, but the odours disappeared for a few
days. I sometimes wish it would come back and sort out the smell.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz
http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery