Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:00:05 +1100
My appreciation of the local Copperhead dates back to a camp on an
island off the southern Australian coast. We were doing some
voluntary foreshore revegetation work.
Someone came into the camp area and told us that a large snake was
heading directly for it. We formed a loose skirmish line and walked
outwards, hoping to 'beat' it away with noise and vibration.
Suddenly it reared up in the foot high dry grass about five metres
ahead of me, big enough to stand almost a metre high. Really big and
quite beautiful in the late afternoon sun - it regarded us all calmly
without concern or panic, almost with puzzlement, and turned and
moved off at right angles.
I was quite smitten.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx