Re: [OM] OT.spam query

Subject: Re: [OM] OT.spam query
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:08:32 -0800
> From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I just emptied my spam box to find 4 or 5 e-mails purporting to come
> from me at my e-mail address!
> Tried to explain to my wife that I had NOT sent myself e-mails
> offering
> me a larger willie!
> I am somewhat puzzled!
> Has someone hijacked my e-mail address, and is there anything that I
> can do about it?

Many spammers forge the "From:" address of the email they send out, in
an effort to get around spam filters.

Consider yourself lucky that they aren't forging you as the "From:"
address in spam they send to others. That results in what's called
"backscatter" to you -- rejected messages from all over the world,
that are sent back to you as though you were the sender. Even worse,
people will complain to your ISP that you're spamming them! (Although
it's usually simple to tell, via "Received:" headers, that you aren't
the culprit.)

:::: If vegetarians eat only vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-3033-17-18>