Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:05:57 -0800
> From: Chris Barker <ftog AT threeshoes DOT net>
>
> It's based on the fact that when some plonker puts my email address in
> the body of an email I start to receive spam in the next few days.

Or, it might be based on vivid imagination, and a desire to think one
can make a difference! :-)

I propose an experiment, Chris. Take an email holiday for a week. I'll
bet the same patterns of spam happen, even if you put NO EMAIL
ADDRESSES out there on the Internet during that time. (I'm not
shouting; capitals were put there strictly for your entertainment. :-)

One pattern I've noted that some may be confusing with emails in
message bodies having a difference: spam seems to be less on the
weekend. So there's a totally unrelated cycle that may be influencing
you. (I theorize that tens of thousands of workplace zombie Windows
machines that have been co-opted to propagate spam are shut down over
the weekend. Or maybe spammers just prefer to go to the beach or
mountains on the weekend.)

Sorry if this is annoying you, Chris. I just have little patience for
belief-based behaviour, devoid of technical fact. And I get downright
testy when someone holds up THEIR irrational belief as a reason for me
to change MY behaviour. I'm voluntarily complying while I try to
convince you of reason.

:::: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have
to worry about the answers. -- Thomas Pynchon ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality: http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/User:Jan_Steinman
  ::::