Re: [OM] OT Transition to digital TV (in the US)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Transition to digital TV (in the US)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:14:31 -0500
Go for the converter box.  It's cheap which makes it low risk.  Then
check out this page of antenna advice.  The two Channel Masters
mentioned there (optimized for UHF) look like they might be a good bet
but I have no idea what they cost.
<http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/types.html>

If you're only after a particular station or the stations are all in the
same direction and don't have much angular separation from each other
maybe you can even build a specialized antenna.

The last year that I was in the Air Force (and very poor) I lived in San
Antonio, Texas which was 70-80 miles away from the then nearest public
broadcasting station in Austin, Texas.  The Air Force had introduced me
to basic antenna theory so that and a trip to the library gave me all I
needed to know to build a simple yagi antenna optimized for (IIRC)
channel 12.  I couldn't afford much so the antenna was built of strips
of cardboard and aluminum foil taped to the floor under the rug in front
of the TV.  The twin lead contacts were even taped to the foil.  No
solder involved.  It worked great.

When we lived in Woodstock, New York I gave some serious thought to
building a rhombic antenna in my attic to pick up a particular station
in New York City.  I never did build it though since the size I desired
would have required most of the length of the attic which wasn't
oriented quite close enough for good performance.

Good luck,
Chuck Norcutt