Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners

Subject: Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners
From: David Irisarri <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:50:09 +0100
Hi,

E-3 is much better than E-1 in nearly all features and certainly it
seems E-3 only underexposes 0.3EV against 0.7EV of E-1. E-3 has much
wider dynamic range and broader in highlights than E-1.
OM4ti was perfect! I was really in love with this camera. Multispot
metering was a dream.
When I switched to E-1, I decided to use center-weighted but IMHO this
type of light metering cannot be used with narrow highligh exposure
latitute because you are blowing highlights. Then I started to use the
49 cell matrix metering and it copes much better with highlights but
underexposes 0.7EV aprox.
I would like to see a camera with different type of color reversal film
emulations, different type of contrast curves (I hate +1, +2 , etc...)
(it would be very nice to upload Photoshop curves in your camera) and a
sensor with enough dynamic range in order to get what you see with your
camera. I think Olympus is going in this line as they have created a
very strong TruePIC III+ processor with a faster processing engine. They
are applying filters in E-30 but I am pretty sure E-4 will bring us
broader features to avoid this odd Raw Processing odd routine. Raw
processing is nice but sometimes is a pain in the neck. I miss
projecting my perfect exposed Ektachrome slides in my wall. Do you
understand me?

Regards,

Dave