Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:02:07 -0800
> From: WayneS <om3ti AT zuik DOT net>
>
> At 12:33 PM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>>> From: Chris Barker <ftog AT threeshoes DOT net>
>>>
>>> I have just looked at lists.tako.de and the email addresses are
>>> obfuscated.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Does't Think It Makes A Difference <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> These don't look obfuscated to me:
>>       http://lists.tako.de/mbox/Olympus-OM/2009-01
>>
> If you navigate to the list via http://lists.tako.de/
> then the email addresses displayed are blanked out.

No, they are not. Look at the "mbox" link.

> Whether people think it is irrelevant or not, to me it does reduce
> exposure, and is a simple request.

I still assert it has less than 0.0001% impact (if any at all) -- as
evidenced by unused Yahoo Mail accounts getting spam within a short
time. Plus it is an imposition on everyone. It's closing the door
after the horse has gotten out the barn.

The ONLY way we're going to have ANY impact on this is if the archives
are changed to require a password. Every posting you make puts your
address out there -- is it fair that everyone else should have to edit
their message when replying to you?

But say you do avoid having your email address in message bodies, and
the only exposure is through your own postings. Does that "reduce
exposure?" I submit not -- it's a "horseshoes and hand grenades" sort
of thing. You can't be "a little bit pregnant," and it doesn't matter
if your address appears once from your own posting, or one hundred
times from everyone replying to you -- they've still got you!

Don't worry. Be happy. Or be a total recluse.

(Still voluntarily complying, but I'm soon just going to put the
irrationals on my "do not reply" list -- which some may see as a
benefit. :-)

:::: If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind,
::::    of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Services/web.html