Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: "montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx" <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:18:17 +1000
Wayne Harridge wrote:
> Marc,
>
> I presume his stuff is like Ken Duncan's ?

It's a very reasonable question and presumption...and I would say some
are (catering to a market?), but in general I would say no, depending on
the parameters for "like". To be put it in simple, purely-subjective
terms, I've never much liked Ken Duncan's photos, but I *do* like Peter
Lik's pictures. Peter's photos can sometimes be quite saturated (though
he has some black-and-white too), but there's a lot less that feels
basic-Ken-Duncan-cliché-oversaturated-landscape about them to me - as if
there's more focus on the content and composition. He's photos to me
feel a bit "technically" better, or just as if more time has been spent
finding and scouting them. He's also not averse to closer photos of the
details, and some minor abstraction. He has a magnificent
black-and-white photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in fog, taken from a
near-underneath perspective into the sun attempting to break through.
They've framed it with a wide, roughly-polished stainless steel frame,
complete with large "rivets", and whereas the framing might overtake
another photo, it complements this photo and draws you into its light.
He has another of some of the shells of the Sydney Opera House, again in
black-and-white, dark sky (red filter?) and it's quite spectacular and
"rich" in panoramic format.

(Hmm, you can tell my greyscale bias here? Honest, he does have some
lovely "saturated" photos too).

Perhaps I'm just wrong in all of the above, and should simply have gone
with "I mostly like Peter Lik's photos; I mostly don't like Ken
Duncan's". Oh, well.

Chuck Norcutt wrote:
 > Linhof Technorama it is:  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqho72qJ-x4>

To be honest, I'm surprised I was on the money. I can sometimes find
that my "I had a feeling" moments are so far from reality that it has me
suspect I have somehow slipped sideways into another universe's history
(or perhaps, to apply Ockham's Razor, just dreamt it :-) ).

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz
http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery