Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners

Subject: Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:50:03 +0800
Dave, I agree with you about the details of the E-1 is good enough for most
application provided the focus is right and it did with the 50/2. The
problem was I always see AF issues with 11-22 and 14-54, the result was not
consistant and I can't use MF with the viewfinder. I love the 11-22, without
it I'm not interested on the 4/3.

I have not try Raw Developer, I mainly use Olympus RAW converter, I will use
SilkyPix or Captuer One for the over exposed images as Olympus RAW cannot
recover overexposed details. Based on the portraits I have seen, the tone of
your images are very nice especially the B/W one. But I'm very happy with
Olympus RAW, I don't see any need for another converter at this moment.

Life is short, I have too many things in queue. You never know if a RAW
converter is good for all images, I was quite happy with Capture One 4.6 for
my 5D Mark II, but I just found the shadow has serious color shift for low
color temp. light source while the Canon DPP is always accurate. Same for
the Olympus RAW, I found the result was much more consistant than the third
party one.

For my digital images I'm not interested to have them emulate any color
film, film was never as good as digital IMO. I like Olympus digital color, I
wish I can make my Canon images look close to it.

A good digital image need very little or no sharpening, see the below 21MP
image taken with the low cost Zuiko 28-48 zoom at 28mm F8, converted with
DPP, no sharpening and no noise reduction, ISO640 equ.:

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/IMG_1641.JPG

I doubt my E-3 image will come close even with the 14-35/2:

E-3, 14-45 at 14mm, F5.6 shoot at a different day, Olympus RAW,
sharpening -2, no noise reduction.

http://www.accura.com.hk/temp/P3063360.jpg

I never believe sharpening can recover any unavailable details, I believe in
sharp focus, CCD and good lenses. For NR I use Neatimage.

C.H.Ling