Re: [OM] The Zepplin is Coming!

Subject: Re: [OM] The Zepplin is Coming!
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:37:29 -0400
We were passing through Portland one Saturday  morning in the early 1990s
when we came across crowds of people in the downtown area along with
numerous police cruisers, ambulances and fire trucks.

When I asked a policeman what the fuss was about he pointed skywards towards
a 30+ storey high rise. A lengthy sloping platform protruded from either
side of the top of the building. At the end of the elevated end of the
platform sat an early 1900s vintage biplanes all ready for take off. The
emergency vehicles were all in place to take care of problems if the plane
was to plunge to the ground after take off.!

After a few delays ...... it was a bit foggy .............. the plane did
manage a successful take off and flew off into the fog up the Columbia
River.

People were waiting for the pilot to turn round and attempt an uphill
landing on the inclined landing platform. I think he did not have the
courage :-)

That was a day I was out of film :-(

Anyone have any images of the take off ?

jh

ps: If anyone cares for bookstores, Powells in Portland, Foyles in London
and Blackwells in Oxford are the only three one needs to visit ..... the
rest, worldwide, are just fluff!