Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:02:23 -0800
First of all 19" is way too small. Especially if it is one of those
short squatty screens you get now. Currently the sweet spot for value is
24" 1920x1200. Make sure your video card will support that resolution at
"true color" 32bit depth.

I'm on my second 20" Samsung 204B after the first developed a line
across the screen. It was promptly replaced by Samsung at no cost to me
including postage. However I never resolved the blackout issue. It may
be a timing issue with this particular monitor or it could be a video
card issue. Or some incompatibility between the two. In any event it is
an annoyance. I chose the 204b, not 204bw (wide) because it is
1600x1200, exactly 4/3. Not short and squatty. Consider 1200 pixel
vertical resolution a minimum especially if you plan to use the monitor
for Word documents etc. as I doo for work. The width over 1600 would be
nice for the PS tool bars, history etc. A poor man's second monitor.
Finally the 204B profiles reasonably well and is perfectly fine to use
editing and printing photos. It falls down on uniform illumination and
viewing angle. Any monitor below $500 or so will be similar. You would
need to spend about +/-$800 to get into a "pro" monitor. Although the
Samsung 245T approaches that and a good price.

Here are a few of the monitors that I've been looking at:.

reliable?  <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001309>
good   <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275>
HDMI if needed
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280>