Re: [OM] dance photo shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] dance photo shoot
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:53:40 -0500

Ken Norton wrote:
>> Sounds like you need a camera with a better auto-focus system.
>>

> Well, I don't doubt that, however, in this very specific situation:
>
> 1. Subject is off-center.

Subject is off-center using manual focus too.

> 2. Subject is moving in three-dimensions

Only one of them counts for focus

> 3. Conrast is such that AF will pick up the profile of the body, not the
> face

I don't think so but it doesn't really matter.  Even at 42mm (longest
focal length used) and distance of approx. 14 feet (image #3) the DOF at
f/6.7 with a 4/3 sensor runs from 12-18 feet.  Liberal range for focus.
  Most of the shots have DOF well in excess of that.  The 14mm shots at
f/5.6 (largest aperture) have a hyperfocal distance of 7 feet with
everything in focus from 5 feet on.

> 4. Shutter-release Priority

Turn it off.  See above... large DOF.

> 5. Stage-lighting