[OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:59:20 +1300
Hi,

Resolving power. Have I got that right?

Recently on my E-1 I have been using a Zuiko macro 50/3.5, and also
sometimes the DZ 14-54.

This may seem heretical to say, but I find that Faststone enables me to do
all I usually need do do to images.

With Faststone, the DZ 14-54 images usually need sharpening by 4 or
maybe 5 Faststone units, to get the maximum amount of acceptable
sharpening absorbed by them. Zuiko 50/3.5 images, in the other hand,
seem to benefit only a little from Faststone sharpening, and when they do it
is by the application of only 1 - 2 units..  I have sometimes found that
Irfanview sharpening goes too far and I appreciate the choice of degree the
Faststone provides.

With Faststone, I usually apply some Gamma adjustment ( usually
lightening), and sometimes adjust contrast, saturation, and (especially with
blue flowers) I tweak the colour levels (in this case increase the blue).
Moderation is the key to a good result. Then I sharpen the images before
saving.

I've never got my head around layers, masking and what-not with Photoshop
(even though my computer came with it installed), and seem to get
acceptable images without these.  The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid ! ) edict
seems to work for me.

Brian Swale.