Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:24:11 +0100
On Jan 10, 2009, at 19:15 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:

>> From: "Ken Norton" <ken AT zone-10 DOT com>
>>
>> I will second Wayne's request.  Those of us using gmail are more
>> often than
>> not major contributors to this problem because when we reply, it
>> throws the
>> following in:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM, WayneS <hadom3ti AT screwupthemailer
>> DOT net>wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed a couple of list members are now including the email
>>> address of the person they are responding to in the body of the
>>> email.
>
> Although I complied with the request, it is to no avail. All the
> messages are available in their entirety, including full headers, in
> the archive:
>       http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM
>
> If I were writing address harvesting software, why would I bother
> parsing message body text when I can pull all the addresses I want
> right out of the headers?
>
> Thomas can turn off the archive, or require it to me members-only
> access, but since the list itself is open access, the latter wouldn't
> stop anyone from harvesting all our addresses.

....actually, no, he can't....

Well, the archive at the URL in the bottom of this mail *is* members-
only (need password to access, you can get the password from your
user info page), but the archive on lists.tako.de is not under my
control, that's a service that Niels is providing for us.

I'm not sure if he's got an easy way to anonymize email adresses, but
we could ask?

Thomas