Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:01:24 -0600
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Coldest I've ever been was in the Cairngorms. I made a mistake, carrying
> on when I shouldn't have. Then I failed to find the Shelter Stone. Then
> I made ANOTHER mistake; instead of stopping and digging a snowhole, I
> headed uphill towards another bothy some distance away. Then I almost
> missed THAT...
>
> I was too cold to sleep and was still walking like Gort when I got back
> to Glenmore the next day. Never been so stupid since (I was only 19).

Good God, sounds like the "Winter" episode in James Thomson's "The Seasons."

                                 On every nerve
The deadly Winter seizes, shuts up sense,
And, o'er his inmost vitals creeping cold,
Lays him along the snows a stiffened corse,
Stretched out, and bleaching in the northern blast.

I'm glad you made it back alive, Donald.  What is a "bothy"?

Joel W.