Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpr

Subject: Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:46:55 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:
> I prefer the RL version, at least it does not affect the color/saturation.
> Of course if it is your intention that's ok.

No, no, no. I really sorry I didn't remember to put it in the first
post. The difference in color saturation has nothing to do with the
up-sampling/sharpening that I did.

The processed on the web site did not include one before up-sampling. He
did include a link to a 16 bit, original size TIFF. HOWEVER, it has very
different color/saturation than the 'after' JPEGs The only way I could
use different up-sampling was to start with the very different colored TIFF.

The color differences are all his, not mine. Please look only at detail
resolution/sharpening.

> When you are talking about print, different kinds of printing techniques need
> different level of sharpening, offset need the most and Frontier type need
> less. If you are making a small print, you need more sharpening if you are
> making a giant print with a high pixel file you need less.

Agreed. I only mentioned it because he talked about doing the tests for
printing, then didn't address the issues associated with sharpening for
printing or compare any actual prints.

Moose