Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpr

Subject: Re: [OM] Upsampling/Sharpening technology [was E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 00:57:17 -0800
montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Moose wrote:

>> The R-L processing is interesting and, in the example, clearly a bit better
>> than USM. But lets get right down to it. Anyone interested in this stuff,
>> I'd appreciate your votes on the alternates here.
>> http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/ARL_Sharp/Fox.htm
>>
>> Problems I see with his presentation and examples  ...
>>

> Simply looking at the on-screen examples provided, while also noting the
> problems you specify, to my eye the R-L processed image is the best of them,
> though it's a fine line between it and "Moose Pass 2B".

It seems to me that they are only very slightly different, and
unfortunately, the color difference is a problem - not of my making. I
don't think one would ever see the difference in a print or practical
crop for the web.

The key point is that the R-L processing for the full image took 1.5
hours, while what I did was essentially instantaneous on the sample and
would be only a few seconds for the whole image.

Moose