Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:51:20 -0600

> Agreed. I'm very tempted to elaborate on this but I think I'd better back
> off.... Maybe old silver nose can stick his neck out and do that...  :)

Yes, I know I'm going to get slapped around for my comment.  Yet, I don't
understand this thinking that we can't get it right "in camera" and we have
to post-process everything.  The defense is usually something along the
lines of "I'm smarter than the engineering teams that spent years perfecting
the technology".  But this isn't anything new--we've been doing stupid
things like over-exposing and under developing B&W films for years because
Kodak, Fuji, Ilford and Agfa engineers are all idiots.

A case in point is converting raw files to 16-bit and then having to
reconvert to 8-bit when all you're doing is minor contrast, WB and
saturation adjustment in an editor.  It makes no sense because if the raw
converter allows you to do these things during the conversion process, it is
doing so in 16-bit mode already and only writing the final processed file in
8-bit.  If your converter is processing in 8-bit, then you need a better raw
converter.

AG