Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:29:14 -0500
It doesn't matter how good the scanner.  The dynamic range of Velvia is
about 5 stops and the print less than that.  The scanner probably can't
match the dynamic range of the film (at least on one pass) but it's
probably good enough for the range of the print which is probably less
than 4.

No doubt each print is individually lit and it makes a big difference.
Last summer I shot a large, stately tree on Cape Cod for a friend who
had fallen in love with the tree (the second one I've shot for her, she
loves big trees). The image on screen looks very nice but I was very
disappointed in the print when I first saw it.  But taking the print
into sunlight similar to the light it was shot in makes it just glow.

Chuck Norcutt