[OM] (OT) Need advice on financing a move to digital with some current g

Subject: [OM] (OT) Need advice on financing a move to digital with some current gear
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:14:22 -0400
Hey OMers,

Been in lurk mode for far too long on the list, although I have poked
my head up a couple of times recently.

As I mentioned in another recent post, I'm really starting to hear
digital's siren call. I still really love film but right now I lack
the facilities to do my own developing and printing and I also just
don't have the time. This means that I'm just not shooting much at
all lately and when I do I'm finding the task of scanning and editing
to share my work to be extremely tedious. This means that lately I
find that I'm just resenting photo and knowing how much work is in
front of me is a huge deterrent to getting me out shooting more. A
good example is that I was involved in a photo shoot back on Labour
Day weekend and I still haven't finished going through the shots from
that day, and a great many of them aren't even scanned yet. Let alone
the backlog of images that have never been scanned or added to my
website.

This is really leading me to look toward digital as a way of solving
some of these problems. I realise that editing on the computer isn't
going to go away completely but I'm hoping that it's going to be more
adjusting colour and sharpening rather than ages removing dust spots.
The other big lure has been that full-frame bodies are starting to
become a little more prevalent and the prices have dropped quite a
bit, although still expensive.

So with that in mind, I'm thinking that I should start unloading some
of my current gear and see if that couldn't go toward financing a
DSLR body. But, I've been out of my gear acquiring for a long time
and have no idea about the current state of prices.

The big item that I'm thinking of unloading first is my Arca-Swiss
4x5 kit, I bought it when I had disposable income hoping to get into
LF and it just hasn't seen much use ever. I've had it for several
years and it's time to accept the fact that I'm not using it and
could see the money it's worth better put to something I will use.

I'm wondering what the prices are like for this stuff these days,
ebay isn't much help because Arca gear doesn't seem to come up very
often. Here's what I have:

Arca-Swiss F monorail with fresnel and binocular viewer
Rodenstock Grandagon 75mm 4.5 in Copal 0 shutter plus matched centre
filter
Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 210mm 5.6 in Copal 1 shutter
Toyo 6x9 120 film back
8 4x5 film holders

This is more of a "what's this stuff worth" post rather than a "for
sale" post. I haven't had the time to put together a for sale listing
and post pics or anything like that so it is meant to just get a
sense of what I should list this stuff for.

That said, if anyone wants a killer 4x5 kit, you know how to reach
me :-)