[OM] WiebeTech protective drive cases

Subject: [OM] WiebeTech protective drive cases
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:31:22 -0500
I ordered 3 WiebeTech protective drive cases and they arrived this
morning.  <http://www.wiebetech.com/products/cases.php>  It's a simple,
semi-rigid plastic box not much larger than the 3-1/2" drive it's built
to contain... 183x120x29mm.

Inside are 6 thin rectangular posts about 10mm wide that stick up from
the bottom and reach nearly to the top.  The posts are a bit springy and
are mounted inboard from the sides of the case to provide some
cushioning distance.  The drive fits snugly down between the posts and
the top of the posts are tapered toward the outside to make insertion
easy.  There is also a small, dense foam pad about 25mm square with
adhesive on the back.  There are no directions included but I have
assumed that this pad is to be stuck to the inside center of the cover.
  All is held snugly in place when the cover is closed and latched with
its molded snap latches.

At $7 each this is a high profit item for the manufacturer but I'm glad
I've got them.  It looks like they will work very well and are much
cheaper than buying eSATA cases for each drive.  I found a couple of
sites selling them other than WiebeTech's own but both were more
expensive than the manufacturer.  I've discovered that the BlacX drive
dock works very well for use with bare drives and, for only the second
time in my life, I now have a cloned boot drive ready to install should
the C drive fail.

I bought the BlacX drive dock from Amazon because I was able to get a
couple of other small things with no shipping charges.
<http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Sata-HDD-Docking-Station/dp/B0012Z3MKW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232468674&sr=8-3>
But what appears to be the same thing for $24.99 can be found here
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EN391&cpc=SCH>
Or with the addition of 4 flash card slots for $29.99 here
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=EN391-S2HC&cpc=SCH>

Chuck Norcutt