Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:26:42 -0500
I had that link bookmarked already but didn't think to use it on my
recently acquired $229 22" Dynax (Best Buy) LCD TV set.  The TV provides
VGA and HDMI/DVI inputs but the owner's manual says nothing about
resolution tech specs.  A call to Dynax discovered that it's a 720p TV
device and when configured as a monitor provides 1680x1050 resolution.

I did try it out as a monitor using an analog VGA cable (I don't have
any DVI cables) and it works great. Maybe it would look even better with
a digital input?  Not calibrated (yet) but the color and contrast look
great.  It does change brightness and contrast slightly if you move up
or down about 15-20 degrees but not nearly as much as I feared.  Anyhow
I think I'd be quite happy with this as a monitor... but the wife told
me to stick it back in the bedroom as the TV set which is why it was
bought.  The Yellowstone and other trip images put on a good slide show
on that screen.  Most of the images are still in raw form so most of
what I was seeing was just the 2496x1664 (4MP) embedded JPEGs in the
Canyon raw files.  However, that's already larger than the screen
resolution.

Chuck Norcutt