Re: [OM] Repair dented 24mm f/2.0 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Repair dented 24mm f/2.0 ?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:05:03 +0200
Well, the technique worked. I used, of all things, a bamboo chopstick
(sushi, anybody?) as a jig, as it would guarantee that I could not exert
massive force on the lens. It was surprisingly strong.

Half an hour of careful knocking with a small hammer, and my busted-up
lens
is panelbeated into a round shape again, with filters screwing in
smoothly.
I can see why it's best not to remove the dented part from the lens,
you'd
probably never get it on again. I suspect this is an incredibly early
(silvernose) 24/2.0 lens, low serial number and yellow colour cast.

Thank you all for the advice - and at least I now know what to do
should I see
this again. I am used to my Mamiya RB lenses, which would need a
sledgehammer to
knock into our out of shape, but the OM lenses have surprisingly
delicate filter
threads (well, some of then - the 90/2.0 appears to have a much
"thicker" build
than the 24/2.0 or 50/1.4) but at least it's not a plastic lens
splitting apart
a-la most Canikon lenses.

Enjoy life,
Dawid