Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 20:35:20 -0500
Moose, thanks for spelling out what I did not have time to digress into.
That even though the film only captures 5-6 stops, if shot during the
magic hour, can translate into film with a D range that is quite large.

Very enlightening was this site:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/
and actually looking at some of the scanner performance.
Go down to the beds and select the various scanners. What
a variation in what it can pull out of film!

So the important thing I take away from this is that if you
shoot film, and capture the scene on film within it's range
it is a whole another matter to then get that result into a
display, including the ability of the scanner to pull out from
the film the range it has, which has nothing to do with the
range the film can capture.

So, it very much depends on how good the scanner is
in displaying the final result.

This adds another dimension to film capture I had totally
dismissed. wow.

Wayne